1 a meeting planned at a certain time and place
2 a place where people meet; "he was waiting for them at the rendezvous"
3 a date; usually with a member of the opposite sex [syn: tryst] v : meet at a rendezvous
EtymologyFrom French rendez-vous, from rendez, second person plural of se rendre, to go (to) + vous, you.
An agreement to meet; a location or time agreed upon to meet
- To meet at an agreed time and place.
- Let's rendezvous at the bordello at 8:00 and go from there.
- rendez-vous for French definition, spelling, and pronunciation
Rendezvous is the anglicisation of the French word Rendez-vous meaning "appointment". (literally, go to ); or /ˈrɒndəvuː/.
In a general sense, it means any type of meeting, generally between two persons. It contains the connotation of a romantic meeting, such as a tryst.
It can also be a place either for a meeting at an agreed time, or where people often meet.
- Rendezvous is a label applied to annual gatherings in North America. These are events where teachers and students gather to teach, learn and share information about their areas of interest. Analogous to conferences held in the out-of-doors about things having to do with the out-of-doors.
- "Rendezvous" was the name used for the annual meeting of mountain men and fur buyers during the Western fur trade era, where trappers would exchange beaver skins for supplies and goods they wanted. These events occurred between the early 1820s and the 1840s, coming to an end when the price of beaver skins fell due to changes in fashion. It is now used for any gathering in the buckskinning historical re-enactment hobby.
- Rendezvous is one of the biggest college cultural festivals in India, organised by Indian Institute of Technology Delhi during September.
- Rendezvous is the short name for Virtual Rendezvous, both an open software project and the company leading it.
- Rendezvous, now called Bonjour, a computer network technology developed by Apple Computer.
- Rendezvous (plan 9), a system call of Plan 9
- Rendezvous problem, a class of computational problems
- Rendezvous is a short name for TIBCO Rendezvous, a software product.
- Rendezvous is the name of inter-process (inter-task) communication method of the Ada programming language and of the Symbian operating system.
- Rendezvous - two piece electronic band consisting of Hagai Izenberg and Itai Simon.
- "Rendezvous with Anus", the title of a song by Turbonegro.
- "Seaside Rendezvous", the title of a song by Queen on the album A Night at the Opera.
- Rendez-Vous, the title of a 1986 album by the French artist Jean Michel Jarre
- "Rendezvous" a single by Craig David from his album Born to Do It
- "Rendez-Vous (song)", a song by Pas de Deux, the Belgian entry for the 1983 Eurovision Song Contest
- "Rendezvous", the name of a song by a British progressive house act Tilt featuring German DJ Paul van Dyk
- Rendezvous (album), an album made by singer/songwriter Christopher Cross in 1992
- Rendezvous (Sandy Denny album), an album made by folk rock singer/songwriter Sandy Denny
- Rendezvous with RagNaRok, a video by the band GWAR.
- Sonic's Rendezvous Band, a american rockband founded in the 70ies by Fred "Sonic" Smith
- "Secret Rendezvous", the title of a song by Karyn White.
- "Rendez-vous A Pasloup", the name of a song by Superfamily from their album "Back In Paris"
- "Rendez-vous i Rio", the title of a song by Lustans Lakejer.
- "Rendezvous" is a song by David Arkenstone from his album "Caravan Of Light"
- "Rendezvous In Paris" is a song by the band ZMR
- "Rendezvous" title of a tune by 1980's Los Angeles latin/disco music group Stop.
Television & film
- Rendez-vous (film), a 1985 French film
- C'était un rendez-vous, a short film made in 1976 by Claude Lelouch
- Rendezvous (movie), a 1935 film
- Rendezvous (Prison Break episode), an episode of the television series Prison Break.
- The Courtship of Wyatt's Father, an episode of the television series Charmed, was advertised as "Midnight Rendezvous".
- Belleville Rendez-vous (movie), an animated film as released in the UK
Live Action Role-Playing Game
- Rendezvous (live role-playing group), a fantasy/horror based LARP.
- Buick Rendezvous, the name of an automobile manufactured by General Motors Corporation
- Space rendezvous, an orbital maneuver where the two arrive at the same orbit, make the orbital velocities the same, and bring them together
- Rendezvous (political cartoon) is a political cartoon that satirises the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact between the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany.
- Rendezvous Society is a British based educational charity (UK registered charity 293357) that promotes environmental and cultural understanding amongst linked communities around the world.
- Rendezvous is the title of a poem by World War I poet Alan Seeger
rendezvous in German: Rendezvous
rendezvous in French: Rendez-vous
rendezvous in Japanese: ランデヴー
rendezvous in Norwegian: Rendezvous
rendezvous in Slovak: Rendezvous
rendezvous in Swedish: Rendezvous
appointment, assemble, assemblee, assembly, assignation, assignation house, at home, ball, brawl, bunch, bunch up, caucus, clot, cluster, collect, colloquium, come together, commission, committee, conclave, concourse, congregate, congregation, congress, conventicle, convention, converge, convocation, copulate, council, couple, crowd, dance, date, diet, eisteddfod, festivity, fete, flock together, flow together, forgather, forgathering, forum, fuse, gang around, gang up, gather, gather around, gathering, get-together, hangout, haunt, herd together, hive, horde, housewarming, huddle, league, levee, link, love nest, mass, meet, meeting, meeting place, merge, mill, muster, panel, party, place of assignation, plenum, prom, purlieu, quorum, raise, rally, rally around, reception, seance, seethe, session, shindig, sit-in, sitting, soiree, stamping, stream, surge, swarm, symposium, synod, throng, tryst, turnout, unite